Q. Can losing weight with a strategic diet plan improve diabetic neuropathy?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am diabetic, suffering from left side chest pain for the past 1.5 years, and have high triglycerides. I have symptoms like fatigue, breathlessness, anxiety, and numbness in the legs. I did a CT angiography test, lipid profile, ECG, ECHO, and TMT. Please help.

#

From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), your ECG (echocardiography) and TMT (treadmill test) are all normal but triglycerides are on higher side due to obesity with fatty liver changes and gallbladder stone. Your symptoms are not related to heart. Numbness in the feet can be due to diabetic neuropathy or vitamin B12 deficiency if you are a strict vegetarian. Follow the below steps:

1. Do regular exercise and reduce the weight.

2. Consume a proper diet.

3. Avoid stress.

4. I suggest HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) test to assess blood glucose levels and vitamin B12 test.

5. Consult your doctor for assessing peripheral neuropathy.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I did all the tests and took medications for so many days. I have anxiety, palpitations and fear of heart attack. Kindly help.

#

Your symptoms are most likely due to anxiety and being over cautious about your health. You can control stress by relaxing, traveling, and spending time with family and friends. However, if these measures do not control your symptoms, I suggest anxiolytics and anti-depressants.

|