Q. My dad has been advised temporary dialysis. Does he really require it?

Dr. Sandeep Varma
Published on Oct 12, 2017

My 66 year old father suddenly got a high fever and in few days we discovered he has a urinary tract infection. He is a diabetic and on insulin. He is a very disciplined person when it comes to his health. He checked his creatinine levels early this year and it was in the normal range. After admitting him to the hospital, his fever was gone and the doctor said he would go home in two days. His creatinine is increasing every day and has reached from 1 to 4 in three days. Same is the case with urea which is 125. The doctors are asking for a temporary dialysis to be started immediately, but we are not sure. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrology
#

I am sorry to hear about your father.

• He is presently having a severe infection (sepsis) due to the urinary tract infection. There is an acid accumulation in the blood due to the infection. There is worsening of renal function as a result of stress to the body due to the infection.
  • As rightly told by the treating doctor, he would benefit from a few sessions of dialysis so that his body will not be put to stress from the complications of his renal failure. This is more pertinent if there is an impending decrease in the urine output.
  • The decision for a temporary dialysis is taken considering the condition of the patient as a whole. If the patient is given a comprehensive treatment, he has a very good prognosis.

Hope this has helped alleviate your concerns.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

I have pain in my back, abdomen, and testicles. Do I have some major problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 years old male, and I have pain in my back, the right side of the abdomen, and testicles. My hair is falling rapidly, and I have developed gastritis. My eGFR value is 69, serum creatinine is 1.3, chloride is 106.9, bilirubin total is 1.81, bilirubin direct is 0.52, bilirubin ind...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Nephrologist Now