Q. My dad has been advised temporary dialysis. Does he really require it?

My 66 year old father suddenly got a high fever and in few days we discovered he has a urinary tract infection. He is a diabetic and on insulin. He is a very disciplined person when it comes to his health. He checked his creatinine levels early this year and it was in the normal range. After admitting him to the hospital, his fever was gone and the doctor said he would go home in two days. His creatinine is increasing every day and has reached from 1 to 4 in three days. Same is the case with urea which is 125. The doctors are asking for a temporary dialysis to be started immediately, but we are not sure. Please help.

Dr.Sandeep Varma
DM NEPHROLOGY
Nephrology

I am sorry to hear about your father.

Also read: Chikungunya Fever

• He is presently having a severe infection (sepsis) due to the urinary tract infection. There is an acid accumulation in the blood due to the infection. There is worsening of renal function as a result of stress to the body due to the infection.
  • As rightly told by the treating doctor, he would benefit from a few sessions of dialysis so that his body will not be put to stress from the complications of his renal failure. This is more pertinent if there is an impending decrease in the urine output.
  • The decision for a temporary dialysis is taken considering the condition of the patient as a whole. If the patient is given a comprehensive treatment, he has a very good prognosis.

Hope this has helped alleviate your concerns.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask a Nephrologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.