Q. My mom is on Norfloxacin to avoid diarrhea. Is there an alternate?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

My mom is 50 years old. She takes Norfloxacin on daily basis to avoid diarrhea. The moment she stops taking Norfloxacin, she goes through diarrhea. Please guide some alternate treatment for her.

#

• Diarrhea makes a large group of gastrointestinal disorders and they must be treated according to the type and the cause.
  • Has your mom done any stool tests? If not, I would recommend going through this test. Because it is important to understand if the diarrhea is caused by any infection or it is just a gut disorder.
  • If the cause is infective, then we want to know whether it is a bacteria, yeast or protozoa. After that the right medication will be taken for 10 to 14 days.
  • If it is not an infective reason, then there is no need for antibiotics. In such case you can use drugs like Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth Subsalicylate) and probiotics like Lactobacillus to help the gut recover its function.
  • If your mother feels tired or dehydrated please consider taking her to the emergency room to consult a doctor and get the proper cure.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|