Q. Do I need to stop feeding my baby with packaged milk?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2019

My son is 13 months old and 8 kg weight. He is having loose motion over a week. I have given him Oflomac-M and Sporlac tablet twice a day. As he did not suffice, stopped giving him Amul milk and started Isomil. Later he was fine for the next 2 days and when I started back Amul milk since yesterday, again the stools are thin. As of now I am giving him Darolac twice a day. Should I give Zinc supplement for him? I am feeding him with tapioca water, curd rice, and rusk. Stopped biscuits also. He is absolutely fine and active. Was the medication sufficient? If not please suggest for his speedy recovery. Is this because of lactose intolerance? Do I need to stop feeding him on packaged milk? Currently we are using Amul. Thanks in advance for your response.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have read your question in detail and I know that you are very concerned about your child but do not worry.

By what you quote it seems that your child has probably got lactose intolerance, resistant stomach infection or worm infestation. I think you should do stool routine microscopy test and stool culture test to look for any infection and stool for reducing the sugar for lactose intolerance.

It is seen in children that when they develop loose stools, sometimes the lactose intolerance may persist for 2 weeks. Continue Similac formula milk and stop Amul milk. Continue Darolac (Lactic Acid) for three days and Zinc syrup for a total of 14 days to increase gut immunity.

No need to stop other foods or giving special items like tapioca water. Also, give deworming syrup like Bandy plus (Albendazole) 10 ml once at night before sleep.

| 

Thanks for the prompt reply. Can I give him some biscuits and fruits like orange? He usually daily has one. Also, I am concerned about his weight. What can I feed him to gain a little weight?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, you can give him biscuits and fruits like orange. Your child's age is 13 months and weight is only 8 kg. Weight at this age should be around 10 kg.

In my opinion, you should do a complete blood count and stool routine microscopy test. Based on the above test, we have to start medicines. You can give all homemade foods which have more fat like eggs, milk, paneer, butter or ghee.

|