Q. Do I need to stop feeding my baby with packaged milk?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Jan 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2019

My son is 13 months old and 8 kg weight. He is having loose motion over a week. I have given him Oflomac-M and Sporlac tablet twice a day. As he did not suffice, stopped giving him Amul milk and started Isomil. Later he was fine for the next 2 days and when I started back Amul milk since yesterday, again the stools are thin. As of now I am giving him Darolac twice a day. Should I give Zinc supplement for him? I am feeding him with tapioca water, curd rice, and rusk. Stopped biscuits also. He is absolutely fine and active. Was the medication sufficient? If not please suggest for his speedy recovery. Is this because of lactose intolerance? Do I need to stop feeding him on packaged milk? Currently we are using Amul. Thanks in advance for your response.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have read your question in detail and I know that you are very concerned about your child but do not worry.

By what you quote it seems that your child has probably got lactose intolerance, resistant stomach infection or worm infestation. I think you should do stool routine microscopy test and stool culture test to look for any infection and stool for reducing the sugar for lactose intolerance.

It is seen in children that when they develop loose stools, sometimes the lactose intolerance may persist for 2 weeks. Continue Similac formula milk and stop Amul milk. Continue Darolac (Lactic Acid) for three days and Zinc syrup for a total of 14 days to increase gut immunity.

No need to stop other foods or giving special items like tapioca water. Also, give deworming syrup like Bandy plus (Albendazole) 10 ml once at night before sleep.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Can I give him some biscuits and fruits like orange? He usually daily has one. Also, I am concerned about his weight. What can I feed him to gain a little weight?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, you can give him biscuits and fruits like orange. Your child's age is 13 months and weight is only 8 kg. Weight at this age should be around 10 kg.

In my opinion, you should do a complete blood count and stool routine microscopy test. Based on the above test, we have to start medicines. You can give all homemade foods which have more fat like eggs, milk, paneer, butter or ghee.

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Payas Joshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it happening for the last two days only? Or was it from birth? If it is from birth, then you should go for a stool examination. Or else it will be transient. I hope you are not giving bottle feeding. A rash free ointment can be applied locally. An image of the rash c...  Read Full

Why has my 11 month old baby not put on weight from the last three months?

Query: Hi doctor, My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6.5 kg now. She has been in the same weight with no increase from the past 3 months. She does not eat any other solid or semi-solid food except breast milk. Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Kishore
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The amount of food eaten would vary from child to child. Decreased intake, fussy child, and worm infestation are commonest causes for decreased weight gain. I would suggest a deworming for your baby. A single dose of Syrup Albendazole 400 mg will suffice. Also, I wo...  Read Full