Q. What is causing diarrhea after eating a spicy dish?

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

I ate a chicken kebab a week back. Next day morning, I woke with small stomach pain followed by diarrhea. By evening, I was shivering and cold. Next morning I woke up feeling fine but still had diarrhea. Six days later, I am still having diarrhea after eating meals. There has been no vomiting or nausea and I can hold fluids fine. Also, dry foods like crackers and biscuits cause no problem. Any idea what is causing this?

#

It seems to be a post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome. Due to infection, normal bacterial flora of the body which is present in the intestine is lost. That is why you are getting such symptoms. These symptoms should go away after a few weeks. If not, then you need to do some investigations to look for the cause.

Post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome.

Tablet Bifilac twice a day for five days.

|