Q. I have been having odd bowel movements. Please help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2014 and last reviewed on: May 24, 2019

I am a 17 year old female. My weight is 140 kg and height 5'4". I need your guidance and advice on something that has been going on for a very long time.

In the past, I have been a vegetarian, paleo, vegan, etc. And I am currently a vegan because I feel it is the right thing to do.

I eat extremely well, always have fruits and/or vegetables with every meal. I am a very conscious and intuitive eater.

However, for a very long time now I have been having odd bowel movements. I have rabbit pellet-like stools, and sometimes I never make a bowel movement in a day. It is becoming an issue because for the past few months I have had this problem.

I have been feeling extremely bloated and uncomfortable. I never feel hungry and constantly have this fullness feeling and assume that it is because of the problem with my bowel movements. And maybe my bowels are not clear.

It is very uncomfortable because I enjoy eating and want to eat and exercise. However, with this constant feeling, I do not really enjoy eating or exercising.

I wake up every morning with a bloated feeling in my stomach. I do not know what to do and how to fix and stop this issue and start having normal healthy bowels. I need some advice and really appreciate that you will take the time to help.

#

It is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It is a benign disorder, requiring only supportive management to regularize bowel habits.

This disorder occurs in many people these days (10 to 30 % population are affected by this). This condition is aggravated by low fiber intake.

Advice:

1. Take Isabgol three spoons twice a day in 200 ml water or milk.
  2. Consume curd.
  3. Do not go to the toilet more than once or twice irrespective of the urge to defecate.
  4. Do not sit in the toilet for more than five minutes.
  5. Take sitz bath twice a day (sitting in warm water such that only your hips and buttocks are inside the water).
  6. Take a high fiber diet.
  7. Finish off brushing your teeth before passing stools in the morning. It will help in starting the bowel movement.
  8. Make the tap water run slowly in the morning for five minutes before passing stools and hear the sound. This also initiates bowel movements in some people.
  9. Do not go to the toilet in a hurry, be patient while doing this, do not strain during defecation.
  10. Get (TFT) thyroid function test done. Thyroid problems may cause constipation, but not IBS.

It will take time for this disorder to heal.

Consult a medical gastroenterologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|