Q. What to do for diarrhea following radiation therapy and chemotherapy?

Dr. Satya Narayan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I just finished with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Now, I feel bloated and nauseated. Also, I am having bad diarrhea. What should I do?

#

First of all no need to worry. As you have received chemotherapy (Cisplatin) as concurrent therapy, which is the main cause of gastrointestinal tract symptoms.

I suggest tablet Ondansetron 8 mg thrice daily and also Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily.

If only diarrhea without fever, then I suggest tablet Lactobacillus, two tablets thrice daily with tablet Loperamide 2 mg two tablets stat after each vomiting.

If you have a fever, then no need of Loperamide. Prefer tablet Ofloxacin 200 mg and Ornidazole 500 mg twice daily for seven days if having fever.

Take fibrous diet and plenty of liquids.

You can also use oral rehydration salt solution to replenish electrolyte loss.

If you still feel the same with these oral medications, then you will require injectable (IV fluids Ondansetron and Oflox plus Ornidazole for five days) treatment later.

Investigation required complete blood count and renal function test.

Revert back with the reports to a radiation oncologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

| 

Please suggest ways to improve WBC count after chemotherapy.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I am suffering from acute lymphoblastic lymphoma and I am going to finish my last chemotherapy. My WBC count has reduced due to discontinuation of GCSF. After the completion of chemotherapy session, how to recover WBC count? Please suggest me.  Read Full »

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now