Q. Echocardiogram shows grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. Kindly advise.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Dec 12, 2018

I have anxiety for the last five months. Recently, I had an echocardiogram, it says grade 1 diastolic dysfunction of the left ventricle with E/A ratio 0.7. Rest other parameters of the echo are fine. Sometimes my diastolic BP goes to 90 due to anxiety. Can you please tell what is this dysfunction? Will it cause future issues and will it go away if I get rid of my anxiety and BP? My ECG is found to be normal.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Diastolic dysfunction in the echo is, in fact, abnormal function of the left ventricle during relaxation phase that is diastole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It occurs when left ventricle muscle is hypertrophied due to increased blood pressure. Grade 1 is the initial phase, but do not worry it is reversible. Control blood pressure and it will be fine within a few months. No need to repeat echo but controlling BP is essential. According to the latest guidelines, optimal BP is <120/<80 mmHg. To reduce BP avoid anxiety, avoid smoking (if you smoke), avoid alcohol or any other form of addiction (if you are addicted), reduce salt intake in the diet, avoid junk foods, oily foods, ghee, etc. Do regular exercise, maintain a healthy weight.

What does my baby's echocardiogram report indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby's heart rate is 110 beats per minute. During examination, the echocardiogram shows S1 normal, S2 split 3/6 and continuous murmur at left infraclavicular region. What does the information indicate?  Read Full »

What is the treatment for LV diastolic dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor,What is LV diastolic dysfunction grade 1? Doctor suggested stress echo cardiography. And conclusion includes this line. I can show you reports. What is the treatment for this. Any medicines?  Read Full »

What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?  Read Full »