Q. Echocardiogram shows grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. Kindly advise.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I have anxiety for the last five months. Recently, I had an echocardiogram, it says grade 1 diastolic dysfunction of the left ventricle with E/A ratio 0.7. Rest other parameters of the echo are fine. Sometimes my diastolic BP goes to 90 due to anxiety. Can you please tell what is this dysfunction? Will it cause future issues and will it go away if I get rid of my anxiety and BP? My ECG is found to be normal.

#

Diastolic dysfunction in the echo is, in fact, abnormal function of the left ventricle during relaxation phase that is diastole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It occurs when left ventricle muscle is hypertrophied due to increased blood pressure. Grade 1 is the initial phase, but do not worry it is reversible. Control blood pressure and it will be fine within a few months. No need to repeat echo but controlling BP is essential. According to the latest guidelines, optimal BP is <120/<80 mmHg. To reduce BP avoid anxiety, avoid smoking (if you smoke), avoid alcohol or any other form of addiction (if you are addicted), reduce salt intake in the diet, avoid junk foods, oily foods, ghee, etc. Do regular exercise, maintain a healthy weight.

| 
2 out of 2 likes