Q. Should I consult a doctor for my high BP?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

I am a 34 year old. I have high BP condition. I am using Nebivolol 2.5 mg twice daily. Usually, my BP shows normal values less than 120/80, but sometimes, I get BP over 150/100. Today morning when I checked, it was 160/110. I am very scared. After an hour it reduced to 140/90. Should I visit a doctor now?

#

• The BP (blood pressure) may fluctuate with conditions such as during stress, and during an illness, the BP may be raised.
  • If it occurs occasionally, there is no need for any other medicine. I advise you to manage your BP without medicines as much as possible because you are young and should have a healthy life and not be dependent on pills.
  • Therefore, you should eat fruits and vegetables as much as possible, do regular moderate intensity exercise, avoid tobacco if you use in any form, avoid junk foods such as pizza, burgers, fatty foods, etc.
  • Check BP regularly at random times and not necessarily at times when you feel unwell. Check the BP in sitting position, with arm resting on the table. Tie the cuff at the level of the heart. Again, check the BP after 10 minutes.
  • If the BP remains within the range, that is 120/80 or less, you may reduce one dose. Do BP check regularly and make a note. After a month or so, if the BP remains in range, you may withdraw the other dose also.
  • Still, if the BP does not settle after these measures, please revert with daily BP record.

Wishing you a healthy life ahead.

|