Should I consult a doctor for my high BP?

Q. Should I consult a doctor for my high BP?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 34 year old. I have high BP condition. I am using Nebivolol 2.5 mg twice daily. Usually, my BP shows normal values less than 120/80 mmHg, but sometimes, I get BP over 150/100 mmHg. Today morning when I checked, it was 160/110 mmHg. I am very scared. After an hour it reduced to 140/90 mmHg. Should I visit a doctor now?



Welcome to

The BP (blood pressure) may fluctuate with conditions such as during stress, and during an illness, the BP may be raised. If it occurs occasionally, there is no need for any other medicine. I advise you to manage your BP without medicines as much as possible because you are young and should have a healthy life and not be dependent on pills. Therefore, you should eat fruits and vegetables as much as possible, do regular moderate intensity exercise, avoid tobacco if you use in any form, avoid junk foods such as pizza, burgers, fatty foods, etc. Check BP regularly at random times and not necessarily at times when you feel unwell. Check the BP in sitting position, with arm resting on the table. Tie the cuff at the level of the heart. Again, check the BP after 10 minutes. If the BP remains within the range, that is 120/80 mmHg or less, you may reduce one dose. Do BP check regularly and make a note. After a month or so, if the BP remains in range, you may withdraw the other dose also. Still, if the BP does not settle after these measures, please revert with daily BP record. Wishing you a healthy life ahead. Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Pregnancy-induced hypertension ...   Read full

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Co-morbid conditions such as diabetes mellitus accelerate the organ damage ...   Read full

What exercises will lead to normal delivery in a person with small cervical length?

.. needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.