Q. Kindly explain about the diastolic heart failure.

Answered by Dr. Carlos L. Alviar Md, Facc and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Diastolic Dysfunction or Heart Failure? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 41-year-old male with 5'11" height and weight 214 pounds. Multiple sclerosis and bipolar disorder are co-morbid conditions. I was recently admitted for a heart catheterization to check for any potential blockage after an abnormal ECG, chest and chin pain, months of breathlessness, and a very strong family history of cardiovascular disease.

Fortunately, no blockages were found. However, my cardiologist informed me that I had diastolic heart failure. To be clear, he did not say diastolic dysfunction, and he said heart failure. My high blood pressure has always been controlled. My reports say,

1. Moderate tortuosity of epicardial vessels consistent with hypertension.

2. Hyperdynamic left ventricular ejection fraction of 75 to 80 %.

3. Moderate to severely elevated left ventricle end-diastolic pressure 24 mm Hg.

My cardiologist never gave me a prognosis. He told me to eat a low sodium diet and to get checked for sleep apnea (which I will do), but he never gave me a prognosis. I have dealt with health problems for a very long time. It is essential for me to know what a diastolic heart failure diagnosis means for my lifespan. I am married and have five children, and it would be nice to know what I am looking at. Kindly advice.