Q. Does a persistent elevation in leukocyte count indicate leukemia?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I have had a high TLC since I got a bacterial infection the past year. It has neither increased nor decreased. It was 9,200 last year, and after medication, it returned to 5500. Over the last few months, I have repeated CBC five to six times, and every time it is between 10,000 to 10,500. My differential count of neutrophils is 7000, lymphocytes are 2700, and the rest are within the range. The peripheral smear does not show any abnormalities. The ultrasound is normal. What do I do?

#

I can understand your concern.

You have mild leukocytosis, a borderline elevation of leukocyte count, and your peripheral blood smear shows no abnormal cells. So, you need not worry about that single report. However, if you have any clinical complaints, please mention them to guide you further.

Do not worry. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

But why is it persistent for a year? And the uric acid level is also 7.6. I had read that these are related to leukemia. That is why I am afraid. Earlier, I consulted a doctor, and he said that it is due to the obesity as my cholesterol level is also 200 and that it will come back to normal when I reduce weight. I had to get my CBC six to seven times last year which gave the same results. I am not able to focus on any other thing due to this. Please guide me on what I should do further.

#

Your report is not suggestive of leukemia. In leukemia (blood cancer), immature cells are present. However, they are not seen in your peripheral smear report. So, do not worry about leukemia. In your case, chronic inflammation or infection might be responsible for the elevation of leukocyte count. You can consult a good physician for your examination and further work to find the cause of chronic inflammation. Obesity also can cause inflammation. So it is yes advisable to reduce weight as well.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|