High White Blood Count

Should I be worried to have a high WBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a high white blood cell count. It is more than usual. I got my blood tested. And the result is I have 12000 white blood count. In the report, it is written that normal count is up to 11000. Do I have to worry about anything? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. White blood cells are a type of blood cells which are majorly involved in fighting infection in the body and are usually increased in amounts when the body is fighting against an infection and occasionally in certain other conditions. ...  Read Full »

Why is my neutrophil number dropping?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had my blood tests done for unexplained bruising, mouth sores, muscle pain and headaches. The neutrophil number came back as low of 1.2. I looked back at my past laboratory results and the neutrophil number has been dropping as follows. First it was 3.4, then 3.2, 2.9, 2.7, 2.1...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: If the immune system were being affected, then I would like to look at the whole picture of WBC count (white blood cell) and decide. Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic disease and in chronic diseases, the lymphocytes increase. ...  Read Full »

Is there any correlation between fluctuating BP and increasing WBC count?

Query: Hi doctor,Can fluctuate blood pressure cause elevated WBC? I got sick with chronic idiopathic urticaria and started MTX. My Rheumatologist diagnosed me with seronegative RA and stopped MTX. Did Vectra DA test, and scored 42/moderate for RA disease. I was supposed to start Remicade this Thursday, but...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing a detailed history. To answer your first query, there is no direct correlation between fluctuating BP and the increase in cell counts. CRP is usually elevated in RA (rheumatoid arthritis) disease, which is a common finding reflecting the body's...  Read Full »

What causes high WBC count in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 year son is ill for past two weeks. Initially it was diagnosed as viral infection due to season change. He was given fever and cold medicine (Asthaline). Fever was mostly between 100-101 degree F.  He had occasional cough may be five times a day. He had the medicine for 5 days but t...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child has definitely got bacterial infection. From your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the reasons are as follows. His initial CRP (C-reactive protein) was 17.3 which has came down to 10.3. CRP is an acute phase reactant which indic...  Read Full »

What causes of high white blood cell count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I am overweight. My regular doctor noticed my WBC has been high every single time he has drawn my blood. He even asked me to come back several times to double check. It has been like this and climbing slowly for a year. He referred me to an oncologist. But in t...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: A rising WBC (white blood cell) count in the absence of any infection, however mild is sometimes worrisome and that is being at present felt by your doctor. Mild ...  Read Full »

My baby's WBC count is high two months after an infection. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My son turned one two months ago. He was last sick two months ago for about a week. He had some standard vaccinations and a routine CBC to check for lead level and anemia. The CBC came back with high WBC and high platelets. His pediatrician was not concerned and said it could be from a re...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to see that you are aware of your child's health. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me give you my opinion. Do not directly conclude it as a malignancy, especially leukemia. In the peripheral smear, no blast cells...  Read Full »