Q. I have high WBC count. Do I have to worry about it?

Dr. Y Siva Roja
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have a high white blood cell count. It is more than usual. I got my blood tested. And the result is I have 12000 white blood count. In the report, it is written that normal count is up to 11000. Do I have to worry about anything? Please help.

#

I have gone through your query. White blood cells are a type of blood cells which are majorly involved in fighting infection in the body and are usually increased in amounts when the body is fighting against an infection and occasionally in certain other conditions. Though 12,000 count is a definitely increased number, it need not be considered very high if there are no associated symptoms or any other medical history.

But before that, we need to look into the differential count of white blood cells which means the percentage of various different kinds of white blood cells which are elevated in different kinds of infections and other values in your blood picture report.

I need you to answer me questions regarding certain symptoms.

1. Do you have any recent fever, flu, cough, burning urination, vomitings or diarrhea, abdominal pain, any rash, headache or symptoms of any other infection?
  2. A history of weight loss, tiredness or any bleeding manifestations?
  3. A history of intake of any steroids?
  4. A history of any allergy?
  5. Recent stress factors or increased exercise?

Though white blood cells are increased in certain types of blood cancers, the numbers are usually higher than your value. Please get back to me with the detailed differential count of white blood cells, hemoglobin, platelets and peripheral smear reports and also details regarding the above mentioned symptoms. This way we can exclude all the possible causes of your elevated white blood cells.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|