Direct Bilirubin

How to know whether hepatitis B is acute or chronic?

Query: Hello doctor, My younger brother is 27 years old. He is diagnosed with hepatitis B. Hepatitis delta antibody is non-reactive and quantity of HBV DNA is 7000 IU/ml. We have done the following tests for him. 1. ALT (SGPT) =50. 2. Total bilirubin ( 1.90). 3. Direct bilirubin (0.41) is not nor...  Read Full »

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like your brother has chronic hepatitis B, which is in inactive carrier state. I will like to see his USG (ultrasound) and platelet count. I do not think that there is anything serious in it, and he also does not need any treatment for it at the moment. As ...  Read Full »

Why does my newborn baby have high bilirubin?

Query: Hi doctor,Our newborn baby was found to have serum bilirubin 20 and direct 18 on the 4th day. Kindly suggest appropriate advice. If we are going for photo therapy, then which light is better?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Serum bilirubin of 20 is high for the baby. The value of 18 mg/dL should be indirect bilirubin, because indirect bilirubin is increased in most cases. If direct bilirubin is so much, then the treatment is different. If it is indirect biliru...  Read Full »

Can Cardinal drops help in reducing bilirubin levels in newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, My granddaughter was normally born on 11 April 20. Her birth weight was 2.6 kg, currently weighing 3 kg with persistent jaundice. Her total bilirubin is 3.47 and direct is 3.19. She is breastfeeding along with formula as per pediatrician suggestion with couple of blood tests and ult...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistence of direct bilirubin at two months of age needs to be evaluated properly. Most importantly, what is the color of her stool? Is your doctor told you anything about the liver whether it is big or normal? There are so many causes, but most important and seriou...  Read Full »

I have my total bilirubin and direct bilirubin ranges high. Is it fine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a total bilirubin level of 27.20 mmol/L and direct bilirubin of 12.20 mmol/L. Is it fine for my profession?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and your bilirubin level is high. You need to get your bilirubin level within the normal range. Sugar cane juice and apple juice can be taken more. Avoid heavy strenuous activities until your bilirubin level comes under control. For more info...  Read Full »