Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My brother is diagnosed with hepatitis B. Please suggest treatment options and food restrictions.

Answered by
Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2020

Hello doctor,

My younger brother is 27 years old. He is diagnosed with hepatitis B. Hepatitis delta antibody is non-reactive and quantity of HBV DNA is 7000 IU/ml.

We have done the following tests for him.

1. ALT (SGPT) =50.

2. Total bilirubin ( 1.90).

3. Direct bilirubin (0.41) is not normal.

4. Hepatitis B antigen - non reactive.

5. Hepatitis B antibody - reactive.

6. Neutrophils - 69%.

7. Monocytes - 8%.

8. Lymphocytes - 23%.

9. MPV - 10.7 fL.

10. Eosinophils - 0%.

11. Basophils - 0%.

He also carried shear wave elastography. And the Metavir fibrosis score is F0. I have not shared this news with my family. Only me and my brother knows it since my mother is a heart patient. How may we know that hepatitis is acute or chronic? What other tests can you suggest? Our doctor prescribed antiviral medication. Should we go for antiviral medication as per the prescription of the doctor? Kindly share a detailed guidelines. If you need the copies of the reports, I can share that with you. Also suggest the food guidelines for the patient.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology


Welcome to

It looks like your brother has chronic hepatitis B, which is in inactive carrier state. I will like to see his USG (ultrasound) and platelet count. I do not think that there is anything serious in it, and he also does not need any treatment for it at the moment.

As far as acute vs. chronic is concerned, then you have to do Hbc-IgM. This will help us to distinguish between these two conditions. There is no need for any restrictions in the food. His razor, toothbrush, nail cutter, and comb should not be shared.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My newborn baby was found to have high bilirubin. Kindly advice.
I am pregnant and my entire body is itching, what could be the reason?
My daughter has high SGPT. Is it due to liver damage?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »

I have high cholesterol with palmar erythema. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with palmer erythema last year. I am 28 years old, however, I started drinking moderately from 16-20 then stayed sober for a year and a half. However started drinking again at 22 and have been more of a binge drinker consuming on average of 20-50 drinks a week over t...  Read Full »

Bilirubin is high but other liver functions are normal. Should I worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I did blood tests and attached are the reports. Are they alright or do I need to investigate further?  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.