Q. My brother is diagnosed with hepatitis B. Please suggest treatment options and food restrictions.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

My younger brother is 27 years old. He is diagnosed with hepatitis B. Hepatitis delta antibody is non-reactive and quantity of HBV DNA is 7000 IU/ml.

We have done the following tests for him.

1. ALT (SGPT) =50.

2. Total bilirubin ( 1.90).

3. Direct bilirubin (0.41) is not normal.

4. Hepatitis B antigen - non reactive.

5. Hepatitis B antibody - reactive.

6. Neutrophils - 69%.

7. Monocytes - 8%.

8. Lymphocytes - 23%.

9. MPV - 10.7 fL.

10. Eosinophils - 0%.

11. Basophils - 0%.

He also carried shear wave elastography. And the Metavir fibrosis score is F0. I have not shared this news with my family. Only me and my brother knows it since my mother is a heart patient. How may we know that hepatitis is acute or chronic? What other tests can you suggest? Our doctor prescribed antiviral medication. Should we go for antiviral medication as per the prescription of the doctor? Kindly share a detailed guidelines. If you need the copies of the reports, I can share that with you. Also suggest the food guidelines for the patient.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

It looks like your brother has chronic hepatitis B, which is in inactive carrier state. I will like to see his USG (ultrasound) and platelet count. I do not think that there is anything serious in it, and he also does not need any treatment for it at the moment.

As far as acute vs. chronic is concerned, then you have to do Hbc-IgM. This will help us to distinguish between these two conditions. There is no need for any restrictions in the food. His razor, toothbrush, nail cutter, and comb should not be shared.

|