Q. My newborn baby was found to have high bilirubin. Kindly advice.

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

Our newborn baby was found to have serum bilirubin 20 and direct 18 on the 4th day. Kindly suggest appropriate advice. If we are going for photo therapy, then which light is better?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns.

• Serum bilirubin of 20 is high for the baby. The value of 18 mg/dL should be indirect bilirubin, because indirect bilirubin is increased in most cases. If direct bilirubin is so much, then the treatment is different.
  • If it is indirect bilirubin, then phototherapy should be done. The child should be put in phototherapy units; these are special lights which emit radiation at a particular range.
  • Also, blood group of mother and child and DCT levels (direct Coombs test) should be done in the child. I advise you to admit the child in the hospital and start phototherapy.

For further information consult a paediatrician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

I have admitted mother and child to the hospital. How many hours are needed for phototherapy? Can you brief more on DCT?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Usually, phototherapy for three to four days is required. Daily bilirubin levels guide the days needed for phototherapy.
  • If DCT is positive, then the chances of further raise of bilirubin are high. It is considered as a bad prognostic factor in bilirubin treatment.

|