Q. Following cervical surgery, my thumb went completely numb. Why?

Dr. Tony Magana
Published on May 28, 2016

I had an MRI last year, which indicated a herniated disc and stenosis at C6-C7 left. So, I had cervical surgery ACDF. Still, l had pain for a couple of months and the MRI showed to my dismay that I still had stenosis with displacement of the C7 nerve root. Also, it showed that C5-C6 protruding disc and partial corresponding osteophyte with no nerve root displacement or stenosis at C5-C6. Before two months, I elected to go with a posterior cervical foraminotomy and was told the C7 nerve was then released. Four days after my second surgery, my thumb went completely numb on the top half and has stayed that way. The thumb is normally associated with the C6. The surgeon told me that sometimes radiculopathy overlaps and I just have to live with this. Doctor did not want to follow up with an MRI. I thought at least an MRI should be done just to confirm why the numbness may be there. Can you please advise?

Dr. Tony Magana

Neuro Surgery Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Sometimes it can take time for radiculopathy to improve even up to a year.
  • If your neurological function is getting worse then a repeat MRI would be advisable.
  • If the symptoms are the same and your neurological examination is not worse then you can wait before repeating an MRI.
  • New thumb numbness could be evaluated by EMG (electromyography) or NCS (nerve conduction study). If any new findings present, then repeat an MRI.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Article Overview: Have you ever noticed weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands or wrist? These symptoms may be due to a common condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

Have you ever noticed weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands or wrist? These symptoms may be due to a common condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. Overview of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome This is a nerve disorder affecting the strength and sensations in hand and wrist, caused by pressure on the...  Read Article

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full >>

Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a localized numbness that we are bothered with. Disease starting from this region without any other associated symptoms is quite rare and without them we may not think of a systemic pathology right away. Have you tried nerve tonics? I suggest back strength...  Read Full

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of leg pain. The most common is degenerative lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy due to compression of nerve root especially if the pain is only on one leg. The other causes are vitamin D and B deficiency especially if the pain is on both s...  Read Full

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now