Q. Following cervical surgery, my thumb went completely numb. Why?

Dr. Tony Magana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I had an MRI last year, which indicated a herniated disc and stenosis at C6-C7 left. So, I had cervical surgery ACDF. Still, l had pain for a couple of months and the MRI showed to my dismay that I still had stenosis with displacement of the C7 nerve root. Also, it showed that C5-C6 protruding disc and partial corresponding osteophyte with no nerve root displacement or stenosis at C5-C6. Before two months, I elected to go with a posterior cervical foraminotomy and was told the C7 nerve was then released. Four days after my second surgery, my thumb went completely numb on the top half and has stayed that way. The thumb is normally associated with the C6. The surgeon told me that sometimes radiculopathy overlaps and I just have to live with this. Doctor did not want to follow up with an MRI. I thought at least an MRI should be done just to confirm why the numbness may be there. Can you please advise?

#

• Sometimes it can take time for radiculopathy to improve even up to a year.
  • If your neurological function is getting worse then a repeat MRI would be advisable.
  • If the symptoms are the same and your neurological examination is not worse then you can wait before repeating an MRI.
  • New thumb numbness could be evaluated by EMG (electromyography) or NCS (nerve conduction study). If any new findings present, then repeat an MRI.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

| 

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms, Risk Factors, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: Have you ever noticed weakness, numbness, or tingling in your hands or wrist? These symptoms may be due to a common condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

Overview of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: It is a nerve disorder affecting the strength and sensations in hand and wrist, caused by pressure on the median nerve. This nerve supplies all the four fingers except the small one (pinky finger) and a few muscles at the thumb’s base, which is due to the n...  Read Article

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now