Q. I have hard lumps on my scalp that are red and white. What could they be?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
Published on Jul 25, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have these red and white hard lumps on my scalp. Some are not lumpy but, are just marks. Can you tell me what they are and how to get rid of them? I have dandruff as well.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• It can be pityriasis sicca. The diagnosis can be confirmed with a trichoscopy and skin biopsy.
  • Consider the application of Onabet B lotion (Beclomethasone and Sertaconazole) at bed time over the scalp for 14 days.
  • Use a shampoo that contains 2 % Ketoconazole to wash the scalp twice a week.
  • If there is an increase in the size of the lesion, visit a dermatologist to get examined.
  • Do you have similar lesions anywhere else on the body?

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for replying. I do not have any lesions like this anywhere else, it is just on my scalp. They do not change in color or size. So, can I just try the shampoo to see if the marks go away?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• From your history, they are not raised above the skin surface and have fine scales. One of the differential diagnosis can be DLE (discoid lupus erythematosus). But, again that can be confirmed upon a clinical examination and investigations. I still suggest you go for a skin biopsy and trichoscopy, for which you will need to consult a dermatologist.
  • But yes, you can wash your scalp with the shampoo containing 2% Ketoconazole to treat dandruff.

Is my hair fall due to shampooing daily and dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a dandruff problem for very long. So, I started shampooing my hair every day. Even then skipping even a single day of shampooing leaves my hair full of dirt and makes it completely oily. And an itchy scalp is always there no matter what I do. I have started losing a lot of ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have told, you have a dandruff problem and oily scalp that is seborrheic dermatitis which can be mild or can be severe. And yes hair can fall due to dandruff problem. I will suggest a few things for this. For proper hair growth ensure proper diet with Vitamins...  Read Full

I have oily dandruff and dry hairs with hair fall. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have oily dandruff and dry hairs and hair fall. So what should I do if I wash hairs every day so they will become more dry and thin too?  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many people with dandruff have oily skin and the latest research shows that the real culprit is probably a tiny fungus called Malassezia globosa that needs oil to grow. It only becomes a problem when the fungus grows too rapidly, and our natural renewa...  Read Full

Suggest ways to fade acne marks apart from laser treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have used Benzoyl peroxide gel for my acne and it has almost cleared. But, the acne left some red marks and blemishes on my cheek. I wanted to fade that redness on my skin. In the past, I used Epiduo gel. Please suggest me a product and guide me to remove that redness without laser ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is redness and some pus filled acne too (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Use cleanser like Cetaphil to wash face. Apply either Retin-A gel (Tretinoin) or Benzoyl peroxide gel in night and Clindamycin gel in the morning. Use sunscreen like Sha...  Read Full