Q. Can I give Disulfiram to my father who is an alcohol addict?

Answered by
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2021

Hello doctor,

My 45-year-old father is an alcohol addict. His weight is 80 kg, and his height is 175 cm. He has been consuming alcohol for the last two to three years. As a result, he has got behavioral changes, red eyes, and he always feels tired. I have found two medicines Disulfiram and Sulfur 200. Will you recommend I go for it, or should I give some other medication? Please guide me.



Welcome to

I can understand your problem and situation. It is really hard for a family member to deal with this problem. Your father needs to get admission to a rehabilitation center or hospital under a psychiatrist for alcohol use disorder. You must not give any medication without informing your father. Disulfiram is a drug given to a patient who is highly motivated to leave his alcohol. If the patient is taking Disulfiram and consume alcohol on it, then it may lead to a various reaction like itching, perspiration, seizure, heart attack, and even death of the patient. So legally, if the patient takes Disulfiram, then legal written consent is taken about its side effect and death responsibility.

Please, you cannot de-addict anyone until the patient is ready for de-addiction. There is no medication in the world that will de-addict a patient without informing the patient. When the patient is actively involved in treatment, then and only de-addiction is possible.

So You must take your father to any nearest psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will start medication as per your father's alcohol intake and withdrawal symptoms. I hope this was helpful.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full

Would drinking alcohol interfere with my medicines?

I am a chronic alcoholic ... The doctor advised me not to quit alcohol cold turkey ... I had barely quit drinking two days prior to that ...   Read full

Suggest me medicines to control alcohol drinking.

Doctor i wish to know will i be able to carry on my normal life in this situtation? Also i sometimes here cracking sound in my neck but no pain when i try to bend sometimes when i push my neck too much my throat becomes sore too followed by a...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Malaria Prevention Using Monoclonal Antibodies
A recent phase 1 study proved monoclonal antibodies effective in preventing malaria. Read the article to know more.  Read more»
Surgical Ostomy - Types, Causes, Procedure, and Complications
This article briefly discusses ostomy, a surgical procedure where an opening is created between the segment of the gastr...  Read more»
Rotavirus Infection - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Rotaviruses are among the most common causes of severe diarrhoeal disease in young children worldwide. Read the article ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.