Q. Why has my mother's creatinine level spiked despite taking tablets?

Published on Sep 30, 2017

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level spiked to 3 from 2.4 within a week. She is having issues in breathing. She is in ICU now. Why did this happen even after taking medication? She has a history of diabetes. She is taking Insulin 10 to 20, Neugaba M 75 mg, Becotag, Soda mint, Ecosprin AV 75. Please help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• As she is suffering from chronic kidney disease, she would have also had an acute kidney injury. The most common cause of such an acute insult is an infection. The infection can be in the blood or urine. The other cause could be a cardiac involvement.
  • At present, she needs antibiotics, diuretics, and regular monitoring.

I hope it helps you. You are free to ask any further queries to me.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

My mother is taking six pills of 20 mg Prednisone every other day. Is it too much?

Query: Hello doctor, My 76 years old mother has a kidney infection. The doctor prescribed 20 mg Prednisone, and she is to take six pills every other day. I have taken Prednisone before, and I know the danger of this medication. Are six pills of 20 mg Prednisone every other day too much?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Steroids are not used in infection. In fact, if a person has an infection, then steroids will flare it and result in septic shock, as they decrease immunity. If a doctor has prescribed it, that means the kidney infection is less likely. She might have some degree of acu...  Read Full

Can I take any medicine to lose weight fast?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 years old. I have gained a lot of weight of late and my weight is 101 kg at 5 feet and 7 inches. I got all the tests done and I have a fatty liver and am pre-diabetic. Can I take Metformin for weight loss and diabetes? Can it help me in reducing the fatty liver? Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are worried about your weight gain and being prediabetic. Remember, Metformin is a prescription drug, and it is your physician who can decide if it is needed for you or not. Metformin can be prescribed to prevent diabetes (type II diabetes onset) if pr...  Read Full

What diet can be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reviewing the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the patient has already developed significant damage, creatinine is too high and has already secondary hyperparathyroidism. Type 2 diabetes with renal complication. Dialysis is unavoidabl...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now