Q. My lymphocyte percentage is 44%. Should I be worried?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
Published on Aug 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I just got a blood test conducted and the results indicate that my hemoglobin is 17.9 g/dL. My packed cell volume is 52.5%, RBC is 6.42 milliliter/mm3. Total leukocyte count is 14.3 thou/mm3.

In differential leukocyte count, lymphocytes are 44% and in absolute leucocyte count, leucocytes are 6 thou/mm3 and ESR is 16 mm/hr. Should I be worried?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

There is nothing to worry about your investigations. The number of red cells normally present varies according to person's age and sex.

The normal hemoglobin value in an adult male can range up to 18 g/dL.

It can be raised due to many reasons and these causes may be subdivided into whether there is a true or absolute erythrocytosis (polycythemia) due to an increase in red cells or an apparent erythrocytosis when the red cells are not increased but are instead more concentrated.

The secondary increase can be due to dehydration, diuretic drugs, burns, stress, or high blood pressure, high altitude etc.

Your lymphocyte percentage is a little high. There is a possibility of viral infection.

If you have a fever, headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, itching all over the body, bleeding gums, fatigue, and excessive sweating then kindly consult your physician.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full »

How to remove the excess abdominal fluid in a colon cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt has colon cancer for the past three years. She has a tumor of 8 cm. As all other organs are not compromised, she stopped with the chemotherapy like one year ago. Now, she has peritoneal pseudomyxoma and ascites. In the hospital, the doctors say that the liquid in her abdominal c...  Read Full »