Q. How can I divert my mind when I become sad due to the rude behavior of my loved one?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Jun 16, 2019

I am a 32-year-old woman. The one with whom I am in love sometimes behave rudely to me. He remains silent whenever he dislikes anything that I say. I am a bit outspoken, and I am unable to control this. His silence kills me. I find it difficult to do routine work.

I feel so sad and shattered. He will not answer my messages and will not pick up my call even if I had called 50 times a day. I feel like hurting myself. I suffer from depression since childhood, and I am taking Amitriptyline since the last 13-14 years. How can I divert my mind and focus on my work during those times? It happens almost twice a month. We are together for five years now.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It looks like you and your partner have different personality styles and deal with conflicts differently. For example, if you are an extrovert, you would like to talk your way through issues. But if your partner is an introvert, he may have an aversion to conflict and arguments and may withdraw during stressful periods. This is a natural way of responding to some people and not to be taken personally.

If your partner is otherwise fine and treats you well, it may be helpful to have an open and honest discussion with him when both of you are calm. Write down your thoughts if direct talking can be difficult and ask your partner to reply. Both of you have to respect each other and learn to form your ways of dealing with conflict as a couple. It is natural for all couples to have disagreements, try not to overthink in such situations. Try relaxation techniques and carry on with your usual routines.

If needed, you can try counseling or couples therapy. Also, look after your emotional health. Consult your doctor to review your mental health and the need for continuing anti-depressants. I hope this helps.

| 

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

How to confirm depression?

Query: Hi doctor, I just wanted to ask a few questions and get an opinion. I have been experiencing symptoms of depression for the last two years and I do not know what to do. I do not want to get my family involved unless I know anything for sure and I do not even know if I have depression. I have not had...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article