Q. I suffer from headaches, insomnia, depression and anxiety. Please help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Sep 03, 2017

I have been suffering from headaches for the past 80 days. I smoked four cigarettes every night and two every day early in the morning for 30 days, and then I stopped it with nicotine gum. From the past 160 days, I am suffering from insomnia. Five days after I quit smoking, I started having the headaches. So, I just took OTC painkillers for ten days and later it became more severe. I consulted four different doctors but, it did not help. They prescribed Amitriptyline, Topiramate, Escitalopram, Divalproex sodium, Propranolol, and Flunarizine in different combinations. I am totally messed up due to all these medicines. My headache gets worse if I watch a movie. I got my eyes checked by an ophthalmologist. He said I have +0.25 power on both the eyes. I am a quality engineer, and I have been staying alone, far away from home since the last 12 months. And my concern is, I am not able to concentrate and communicate at work due to these headaches. I stopped the gums and started Bupropion. But, I am not craving for cigarettes any longer. They are almost never on my mind at all. But now, I experience panic attacks a few times every month for the last six months. I have never touched alcohol. The only mistake I did was smoke cigarettes, and I felt very guilty about that and stopped it. But, this headache, depression, and anxiety due to personal problems are killing me every day.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

• Bupropion can worsen the headache. As of now, you can increase the dose of Amitriptyline, Propranolol, and Flunarizine after consulting your treating doctor.
  • Meanwhile, you can use Naproxen or Sumatriptan for your headache as on required basis.
  • Also, try to identify the trigger of the headache and avoid them as much as possible. Take adequate rest.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

We were a middle class family with enough income and more than enough happiness earlier but, after some debts, my dad became an alcoholic and he is behaving like a schizophrenic. I tried my best to get him treated, and after a lot of doctor visits, I got fed up and I left him as it is. My grandmother and mom are currently taking care of him. I performed well at school and college and scored good percentages. I had great dreams to pursue my education further but due to my dad's debts, I am here far away from home. I got selected in the campus selections and completed my training period. But now, I am going through a lot of health problems like insomnia and typhoid. I was doing well at work and got appreciated for it. But now, I do not know what happened to me. I had a disappointing love-life. I was an extrovert once but now, I am an introvert. After joining work, I learned how egoistic and selfish people can be. So, I do not have any real friends here. I am lonely and my teammates are the only people I communicate with. Now, I get thoughts like why am I stuck in this job which is unrelated to what I studied. I am not even making good money. We sold half of our property for clearing half of my dad's debts. I cannot even sleep properly now due to nightmares. I totally hate my life and job. I have become short-tempered and arrogant.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

• I suggest you continue the medication for at least six weeks.
  • Also, consult a psychiatrist in person and start psychotherapy. Along with the medicines, it will help you to overcome your issue.
  • As for your job, you have to consider the pros and cons of continuing it or quitting.
  • Exercise regularly for at least 40 minutes every day.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »