Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I suffer from headaches, insomnia, depression and anxiety. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have been suffering from headaches for the past 80 days. I smoked four cigarettes every night and two every day early in the morning for 30 days, and then I stopped it with nicotine gum. From the past 160 days, I am suffering from insomnia. Five days after I quit smoking, I started having the headaches. So, I just took OTC painkillers for ten days and later it became more severe. I consulted four different doctors but, it did not help. They prescribed Amitriptyline, Topiramate, Escitalopram, Divalproex sodium, Propranolol, and Flunarizine in different combinations. I am totally messed up due to all these medicines. My headache gets worse if I watch a movie. I got my eyes checked by an ophthalmologist. He said I have +0.25 power on both the eyes. I am a quality engineer, and I have been staying alone, far away from home since the last 12 months. And my concern is, I am not able to concentrate and communicate at work due to these headaches. I stopped the gums and started Bupropion. But, I am not craving for cigarettes any longer. They are almost never on my mind at all. But now, I experience panic attacks a few times every month for the last six months. I have never touched alcohol. The only mistake I did was smoke cigarettes, and I felt very guilty about that and stopped it. But, this headache, depression, and anxiety due to personal problems are killing me every day.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome to

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

  • Bupropion can worsen the headache. As of now, you can increase the dose of Amitriptyline, Propranolol, and Flunarizine after consulting your treating doctor.
  • Meanwhile, you can use Naproxen or Sumatriptan for your headache as on required basis.
  • Also, try to identify the trigger of the headache and avoid them as much as possible. Take adequate rest.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

We were a middle class family with enough income and more than enough happiness earlier but, after some debts, my dad became an alcoholic and he is behaving like a schizophrenic. I tried my best to get him treated, and after a lot of doctor visits, I got fed up and I left him as it is. My grandmother and mom are currently taking care of him. I performed well at school and college and scored good percentages. I had great dreams to pursue my education further but due to my dad's debts, I am here far away from home. I got selected in the campus selections and completed my training period. But now, I am going through a lot of health problems like insomnia and typhoid. I was doing well at work and got appreciated for it. But now, I do not know what happened to me. I had a disappointing love-life. I was an extrovert once but now, I am an introvert. After joining work, I learned how egoistic and selfish people can be. So, I do not have any real friends here. I am lonely and my teammates are the only people I communicate with. Now, I get thoughts like why am I stuck in this job which is unrelated to what I studied. I am not even making good money. We sold half of our property for clearing half of my dad's debts. I cannot even sleep properly now due to nightmares. I totally hate my life and job. I have become short-tempered and arrogant.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome back to

  • I suggest you continue the medication for at least six weeks.
  • Also, consult a psychiatrist in person and start psychotherapy. Along with the medicines, it will help you to overcome your issue.
  • As for your job, you have to consider the pros and cons of continuing it or quitting.
  • Exercise regularly for at least 40 minutes every day.


For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Dr.K V Anand
Postpartum Depression
Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.