Q. How to confirm depression?

Dr. K V Anand

I just wanted to ask a few questions and get an opinion. I have been experiencing symptoms of depression for the last two years and I do not know what to do. I do not want to get my family involved unless I know anything for sure and I do not even know if I have depression. I have not had any bad experiences that would have affected me enough to make me depressed and my family does not have a history of mental illness, which is what makes me waver. I feel numb, sad and worthless most of the time. I have found myself becoming more and more irritable and spending more and more time alone. I do not know whether this is just something my mind has conjured up or there is something actually wrong. I feel mad at myself whenever I think about this as I do not have any reason for feeling the things I feel. Anyway, I was just wondering if it sounds like I have depression or not. I really want to see a doctor, but I want to give my parents some explanation since they do not really understand how bad mental illness can be. Thank you.

#

You should understand the difference between depression and disappointment. Disappointment also manifest symptoms as in the case of the depression. Were you deeply disappointed in the near past, say within one year? You did not have any bad experiences and your family does not have any depression history. That is perfect.

• You feel, numb, sad and worthless. Feeling irritable and spending more time alone. These are some of depression symptoms, but your problem is never depression.
  • From the given symptoms, I see this as an attitude problem related to some sort of disappointment. You are just 19. I suggest you forcefully change your habit.
  • Do not be alone. Be with family members or friends. If you do not have friends, then make friends.
  • Go outside and socialize. Engage in physical activities and outdoor or indoor games. You will have many things to study. Do it.
  • Divert your attention to more productive, creative and positive things rather than brooding yourself worthlessly.
  • I do not see depression now. If you continue the present attitude and behavior further, then it could lead to depressive disorder. Please do compulsively as I advised.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|