Q. If I had HRIG before two years, what should I get for a dog bite now?

Dr. Zirwa Sarfraz

My pet dog has bitten me in the face which left two puncture wounds. The dog has been vaccinated before but was not vaccinated for two years now. I have been given HRIG a couple of years ago after the same dog bit me. What medications will I need?

#

Please wash the affected area with warm water and soap, apply antiseptic (antibiotic) ointment on it every day to avoid any infection. Apply a sterile bandage on it if you need to.

As for the vaccination, you do need a booster dose of HRIG (human rabies immunoglobulin) six months to two years after getting the shot. So you might need to get that if you already have not. Make sure it is a deltoid injection, should only be given on the arm.

HRIG booster dose.

Understand and avoid what makes the dog angry. Avoid immunization with measles vaccine within four months after RIG. Avoid other live attenuated vaccines for three months.

Follow up in one or two days.

|