Q. Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a dog bite. Can I eat all kinds of non-vegetarian foods, curds, citric and acidic food, ice creams and chocolates? What has non-vegetarian food got to do with a dog bite? Please explain.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have.

Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if develops any personality change like aggressiveness or excitability or dullness or any paralysis the dog should be humanly killed.

The most important is, one should clean the dog bite wound thoroughly, not to suture and get vaccinated.

Avoiding non-vegetarian foods, onion and garlic following a dog bite is a social taboo and a misconception. There is no scientific explanation to explain the relation between the pathogenesis of rabies and what we eat to the extent of my knowledge.

You can eat everything and just observe the dog. Be careful next time while playing and taming dogs. Keep in mind your allergy to rabies vaccination.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Got a TT shot after a fall and having more muscle and body pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. Three days back, I had a fall from my motorbike on the road. I had some superficial bruises on my right leg and muscle pain on the right side of my body. I took a tetanus shot from my physician. I had Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day for two days to get relief from body ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tetanus injections cause pain and localized swelling. This is the reason for your trouble after getting a tetanus shot. The body and muscle pain, which you are describing, seems to be injury related and they are subsiding too. You need to have anti-inflammatory medicines ...  Read Full

A dog's teeth touched my fingers. Do I need to take rabies vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding the necessity of rabies treatment for me. Last week, I accidentally disturbed a sleeping dog. It started barking and tried to bite my right hand. I pulled my hand; hence it could not harm me. But, I remember that during this incident its teeth and tongue strongly to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the dog alright? You have to keep watching the dog whether the dog die or not. Since, there is no blood and you said it happened last week; you do not need any vaccine now. Revert back with the asked details to a general practitioner online --> https://www.iclin...  Read Full

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full