Q. Will I get rabies infection years after dog bite?

Dr. Ambadi Kumar
Published on Mar 27, 2019

A dog had bit me in my finger eight years back. At that time I did not take any vaccine or treatment. Is it possible that I can get affected with rabies in the future? What is the diagnosis system of rabies? If I get diagnosed with rabies then what I have to do?

Dr. Ambadi Kumar

Integrative Medicine Internal Medicine Wellness Medicine
#

No need to get panicky over the dog bite. You are fine. Rabies testing on humans is performed on samples of saliva, serum. Saliva can be tested by virus isolation or reverse transcription followed by polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Serum and spinal fluid are tested for antibodies to rabies virus. In animals suspected of rabies, they have to be killed and their brains are examined for the presence of this rabies virus. Rabies is usually fatal. So the best thing is prevention. So if you have a pet dog get it vaccinated.

| 

When I bite, both sides teeth do not come in contact at the same time. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, About 2.5 years ago I put extreme pressure on my back teeth by mistake, and they are now slightly pushed into my gums. Just a week ago, I noticed my upper right wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it were growing a bit crooked, so I decided to move them back myself gradually. I started get...  Read Full »

What is the possible reasons for the leg swelling due to mosquito bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start....  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Ask an Integrative Medicine Specialist Now