Q. Will I get rabies infection years after dog bite?

Dr. Ambadi Kumar

A dog had bit me in my finger eight years back. At that time I did not take any vaccine or treatment. Is it possible that I can get affected with rabies in the future? What is the diagnosis system of rabies? If I get diagnosed with rabies then what I have to do?

#

No need to get panicky over the dog bite. You are fine. Rabies testing on humans is performed on samples of saliva, serum. Saliva can be tested by virus isolation or reverse transcription followed by polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Serum and spinal fluid are tested for antibodies to rabies virus. In animals suspected of rabies, they have to be killed and their brains are examined for the presence of this rabies virus. Rabies is usually fatal. So the best thing is prevention. So if you have a pet dog get it vaccinated.

| 
1 out of 1 likes