Q. Will my residual refractive error reduce after three months of LASIK and CXL?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Published on Jul 28, 2017

I recently got LASIK and CXL in one eye, and Epi-LASIK for the other eye. The Epil-LASIK was done a month back. My vision is 6/18 with -2.5 in Epi-LASIK treated eye and 0.5 in LASIK treated eye. The enhancement was not possible as my cornea thickness was low. Can I use spectacles? Somebody said that the difference between two was 2D vision will be double vision. Please suggest what to do. Shall I use spectacles? Will my vision vary in three months? The doctor is saying that it will reduce within three months. My vision target was 6/12, but now I have 6/18 and cylindrical power is 1D. Please help me out.

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• You can use glasses for residual refractive errors. Diplopia is common above 2 diopter difference. However, it may not be the case in every patient. Some people can tolerate larger differences as well.
  • Also, using contact lenses is an option. You can use it in one eye or both depending on your comfort level. I hope this helps.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Will my residual refractive power reduce in the next three months?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Yes, your residual error can decrease slightly in three months. But, it will not be significant (-0.5 or so). Post CXL (corneal cross-linking), the residual error may change after some time. Also, with Epi-LASIK, one to one and half month should stabilize the error.
  • Continue with lubricating eye drops, Cyclosporine, and low potency steroids like Loteprednol for six months. But, drastic changes in residual error are not expected.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

When can I get CXL again?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• CXL may be done if progression is noted (unstable number). You can get a repeat topography after a month. Also, track the refractive error every month.
  • At any time, if the refractive error increases with the corresponding change in the posterior float of topography, then consider CXL. If the refractive error corrected is very large, combining CXL with a primary procedure is advisable.

Is it normal to have burning eyes after Lasik?

Query: Hi doctor, I had LASIK done for my eyes two months back. My vision is all right but, I feel a burning sensation at the corners of the eyes (corners from where tear comes). After 20 days of LASIK, (back then) whenever I put any eye drops my eyes started burning. Due to the burning sensation, my eyes ...  Read Full »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

How can my blurred vision be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having blurry vision ever since my sore eyes have been going away. It started a week ago when I was diagnosed with sore eyes. My physician told me to use Terramycin four to five times a day and on the sixth day, the swelling in my eyes got better. But once my eye was in a ...  Read Full »