Q. Do my wife's NT scan and double marker test results show a high risk for Down's syndrome?

Dr. Deepti Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife had NT scan and double marker test at 12 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy. The report is as follows, CRL is 59.2 mm, NT is 1.45 mm, free beta-hCG is 84.84 IU/L, equivalent to 2.217 MoM and PAPP-A 0.712 IU/L equivalent to 0.282 MoM. Trisomy 21 is 1: 450 1:47 and trisomy 18 is 1: 5315. I wanted to know about if the risk in the first-trimester screening window is positive.

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have read your question and understand the concerns.

• The report is showing a high risk for trisomy 21 or Down's syndrome. This first-trimester screening is 95 % sensitive, hence, if the risk is positive, then the amniocentesis should be done to confirm the fetal karyotype.
  • Down's syndrome should definitely be ruled out by amniocentesis before continuing the pregnancy.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for your reply. That means there is a high risk of the baby having Down's syndrome. What are the consequences?

Dr. Deepti Verma

#

• Yes, there is a high risk of Down's syndrome. A baby with Down's syndrome has mental retardation, growth restriction, and has congenital anomalies in various organs.
  • Therefore, it is always advisable to diagnose it prenatally by amniocentesis and termination of pregnancy, if the karyotype shows Down's syndrome.

| 

What is the significance of minimal fluid in POD?

Query: Hi doctor, We had unprotected sex and after that she took I-pill within one hour. Is there any chance of pregnancy? She had an ultrasound and there is minimal fluid found in POD. Otherwise, everything is fine. Please suggest what to do now.  Read Full »

What does amniocentesis mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 27 years old and 13 weeks pregnant now. As per suggestion from doctor, we went for a double marker test. It is found that trisomy 21 + NT risk is 1:86 and doctor suggested for amniocentesis procedure. Now I am confused and do not know what to do. My wife scared that the proce...  Read Full »

My second anomaly scan shows two markers for DS. Is there a need to worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female. My first trimester NT and double marker test showed a very low risk of 1:3690 for DS and 1:100000 for two other abnormalities. During the second-trimester anomaly scan, the doctor found two markers, CP cyst and mild RPD 4 mm and 4.5 mm. I have given blood fo...  Read Full »