Q. What could be the reason for sudden leak of amniotic fluid?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have doubt on the thing which happened to me. When I was 33 weeks pregnant, suddenly one day my amniotic fluid started leaking. We rushed to the hospital, and I lost my baby. During pregnancy, my doctor conducted all the tests. My diabetes was negative, and my BP levels were also normal till the day. What could the reason for the amniotic fluid leak before my labor time?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me just reassure you that it was an accident, which will not repeat. The possible causes of the sudden leak of fluid or PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membrane) are as follows:

If any infection enters the vagina, the source could be sexual (if you had sex around that time). It also could be a respiratory infection (if you had a running nose or a cough that time and if after clearing your nose, you had used the washroom and washed your genitals with the same hand, the infection would have transmitted to the vagina). It can also be a urinary tract infection (infection can move from urinary bladder to cervix) or gastroenteritis.

All these infections can affect the strength of the membrane and can give way any day.

The next possibilities are any congenital abnormalities in the uterus and fibroids in the uterus.

When you have reached 33 weeks, the cause of death would be the inability to breathe by the baby.

The lung is like a sponge, with lots of air spaces. There is a material called surfactant which keeps the lungs open for air to enter. It is like the glove powder which prevents the sticking of the glove to each other. The fluid has the surfactant. If the fluid leaks out early, the surfactant coat will not reach the lungs.

During your next pregnancy, you need to take a few precautionary measures.

1. Avoid infections and have a course of preventive antibiotics every month.
  2. Have smears from the vagina before and during pregnancy to rule out infections.
  3. Have steroid prophylaxis at 30 to 32 weeks. These can prevent leak and also help the baby.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|