Q. PAPP-A screen test result is 1. 9 and hCG level is 65. 6. What does it indicate?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

My wife has done a PAPP-A screen test and results are 1.9 and hCG level 65.6. She is 12 weeks pregnant. Please advise regarding the same. Thank you.

#

• You need to attach the complete report issued by the laboratory.
  • Important thing is the graph and the MoM (multiple of the median) values which have been calculated as per the gestational age. The risk is calculated accordingly.
  • In case of Down's syndrome, there is low PAPP-A (pregnancy-associated plasma protein A) levels and high hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels which is what it looks like with the information provided.
  • So please upload the scanned report completely for better review.

Revert back with the complete reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have attached the files for your reference. Please have a look.

#

• As suspected there is high risk for trisomy 21 or Down's syndrome in the fetus as per the reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).
  • Next best way to confirm or rule it out would be to perform karyotyping of fetal cells obtained through amniocentesis procedure by 13-15 weeks of gestation.
  • So, please opt for it and if the karyotyping by FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization) indicates trisomy then it shall confirm that the fetus is Down's syndrome and then the decision shall be yours to continue or terminate before 20 weeks.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

{{data.answer_ext.pb_cause}}

{{data.answer_ext.lab_t}}

{{data.answer_ext.ddx}}

{{data.answer_ext.pdx}}

{{data.answer_ext.treatment_plan}}

{{data.answer_ext.p_tips}}

{{data.answer_ext.followup}}

|