Q. Is Doxycycline a safe drug for abdominal pain?

Dr. Vaibhav
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2021

A few days back, I was diagnosed with minimal B/l hydrocele with the right simple epididymal cyst. The doctor gave me some medication, and the pain was gone. After a few days, I have to travel to another place for office purpose. Hence I took my medication in case required. I started the gym as well but now and then I have that pain in testicles and lower abdomen. I could not find the prescription tablets, and hence pharmacist suggest me to take Doxycycline. But after taking these pills, I have unbearable pain. I can attach all my X-ray and reports, but I could not find the option to attach files. Please suggest what to do?

#

Doxycycline is a treatment for any infection for urine. It usually does not cause abdominal pain. For the cause of abdominal pain need to be found out. You will need sonography of abdomen to see for cause if the pain is too severe then physical examination by a doctor will be required to see for the cause.

Pain in testes can be due to infection of testes is called orchitis. Or occasionally lifting heavy weight can cause torsion in testes that are emergency condition and has severe pain. If pain is not critical, then you can take tablet Paracetamol for pain and continue Doxycycline for seven days. And will review with sonography of scrotum again. If you have any doubt, you can ask me.

As per attached reports X-ray and lab report what you suggest. Is it a common or critical problem and why the pain is gone and occur again?

#

As per sonography, it is not a critical problem. The exact reason why pain occurred again is not known, as none of the things present in initial sonography causes that. Possible causes seem to be like infection or torsion.

A day before yesterday I got an ultrasound done for scrotum. I have attached my report. I went to an internal medicine doctor. He did not believe in treating varicocele, he just gave me a pain killer and cystone for a month and told me to cm back in a longh.... Although I took appointment from urologist for next week... Can u pls look into the report and lemme know.... Can a person have all three together epididymal cyst, hydrocele and varicocele.... It's very scary . Second I added roxonin 60mg (loxoprofen sodium) a/w doxycycline bcz only doxycycline wasn't resolving my pain should I add zinteac 150 too. Third, indian prescription was ofloxacin and the combo for three was perfect.... Is there any difference in ofloxacin 200 mg and doxycycline 100mg.... Thank you for ur valuable suggestion

# yes all 3 can co exist
you have mild grade varicocele only
doxycycline is better for infection of urinary tract

you need not be too worried
all of your sonography finding are not serious finding
they can co exist
most probably apart from.few days of antibiotics so other treatments like surgery will be needed
Sorry I didn't get the last part... Surgery will or will not be needed.

The problem is I m having pain and I dunno how to get over with it. I m taking roxonin thrice a day.

Is it okay if I do warm water massage on scortum for swelling n pain
# sorry
I meant surgery will not be needed
instead of hot , you can do cold massage, that may help

the condition mentioned in sonography usually doesn't cause such pain
varicocele also in very rare cases only causes that pain

so do visit a urologist for physical examination to rule out any other causes of pain
Hi, I want to ask something, it may sound weired, but last night I had sexual intercourse and after that (orgasm) I m feeling good and I don't have pain (mild pain) and swollen scortum... Is this normal or still it's a new problem.... Just wanted to know.
Thanks for all ur valuable suggestions doc.... It helped a lot.
# swelling of scrotum is not present due to sexual act ,
swelling may be due to your earlier condition like hydrocele

|