Q. What is the treatment for pain and swelling at the injection site following DPT vaccination?

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2022

My 7-year-old son got his DPT vaccination three days back as his vaccine was missed when he was 5 years old. He has severe pain, swelling, and stiffness in the left deltoid at the site of the vaccine. I am giving him Meftal P as there was no improvement with Ibugesic plus. Can I use Thrombophob or Magsulf ointment? Can I use a hot water bag?

#

I understand your concern.

1. DPT (diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus)vaccine is known to cause local swelling and fever.

2. But if the pain is still there after three days of vaccination, there is a chance of cellulitis (local side inflammation), which requires antibiotics.

3. Before starting antibiotics, I suggest a local site USG (ultrasound) or clinical examination to confirm the finding.

4. You can use Thrombophob (Benzyl Nicotinate and Heparin) or Magsulf (Magnesium sulfate) ointment, but it will not be of much use.

5. You can continue Ibugesic plus (Paracetamol and Ibuprofen) four to six hourly (anti-inflammatory and antipyretic).

6. I would suggest consulting a pediatrician in person.

|