Q. Is there any risk in giving DTwP booster dose to a baby diagnosed with seizure?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Jun 25, 2019

At birth, my son was diagnosed with a seizure. Now he is 18 months old. I am fearing about DTwP booster dose side effect. Earlier three doses had reaction of muscle stiffness and fever.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have read your question in detail and I know that you are very concerned about your child but do not worry. Muscle stiffness and fever can occur after a DPT vaccination and is not a contraindication for vaccination. Contraindication for DPT vaccination are seizures, inconsolable crying, and central nervous system infection or encephalitis after giving DPT vaccination. If you want to be on safer side then go for acellular vaccine instead of whole cell vaccine. You should give DTaP vaccine instead of DwPT vaccine. Take care.

| 

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article