Q. I get vivid dreams in which my best friend is abandoning me. Please help.

Dr. K V Anand
Published on Jul 22, 2019

I do not have a health issue but lately, I keep having an intensely vivid dream that an old best friend from high school or college abandons me right when everything gets crazy and I have people trying to hurt me. It is always in the manner of my phone will not connect with him or something like that but last night it was just that he was there and disappeared when I needed help. I keep waking up in a cold sweat and feeling like my dream has actually happened.

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Dream interpretation is not a reliable science branch yet. Many types of research have been done on dream interpretation but there are no conclusions yet as to what suggests what. Some researchers say dreams have no purpose or meaning and are nonsensical activities of the sleeping brain. Others say dreams are necessary for mental, emotional, and physical health.

Studies have shown the importance of dreams to our health and well-being. In one study, researchers woke subjects just as they were drifting off into REM sleep. They found that those who were not allowed to dream experienced: Increased tension, anxiety, depression, difficulty concentrating, lack of coordination, weight gain, tendency to hallucinate.

Nightmares, or bad dreams, are common in children and adults. Often nightmares are caused by: Stress, conflict, and fear, trauma, emotional problems, medication or drug use, illness. If you have a recurring nightmare, your subconscious may be trying to tell you something. Listen to it. If you cannot figure out why you are having bad dreams, and you continue to have them, I can help you figure out what is causing your nightmares and provide tips to put you at ease. In your case, you must be having an emotional issue with your friend and you are stressed due to that. Keep in mind that no matter how scary a nightmare is, it is not real and most likely will not happen to you in real life. Therefore, do not worry about any dreams at all. Worry may further stress you and may sometime make you be obsessive on those thoughts which may further develop into depression. Ignore those dreams. Engage in your day to day activities. Increase your physical activity level so that you sleep well and sound at night. Take care.

How do I let go of my anger and resentment towards my aunt?

Query: Hi doctor, I have seen my aunt torturing my mom during my years of growing up from 4 to 21 years. My father died when I was 3, so we had to stay at my maternal grandparent's house. All I remember in my childhood was my mom's suffering, fear of aunt, etc. I hate that aunt so much and we have cut all ...  Read Full »

I have itchiness, rashes and redness in penis after balanitis treatment. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago I consulted for candida balantis, and took Fluconazole, Levocetirizine and Candid cream, for a week. It was fine but as the dose got over, my itchiness in penis came back and now I have got cut and rashes and redness in my foreskin and penis. I have uncircumcised penis.  Read Full »

Is Promethazine effective to treat insomnia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am unable to sleep, and I wake up frequently. I suffer from nightmares, and with daytime fatigue. I need a medication that is non-addictive. Is Promethazine an effective medication for sedation in the treatment of adults with insomnia?  Read Full »