Q. Is Promethazine effective to treat insomnia?

Dr. Awadhesh P. Singh Solanki

I am unable to sleep, and I wake up frequently. I suffer from nightmares, and with daytime fatigue. I need a medication that is non-addictive. Is Promethazine an effective medication for sedation in the treatment of adults with insomnia?

#

Thanks for this query.

• I can understand your concern regarding insomnia. Promethazine is a sedative, but it will not help in insomnia. It will affect the quality of sleep.
  • I will suggest you first go for a polysomnography to find out actual reason of insomnia, then start treatment according to that. Zolpidem is the best medicine to treat insomnia because of its non-addictive property. Other medicines can cause dependence.

Hope my answer helped you. Regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|