Q. Suggest alternatives for Fentanyl, Propofol, and Versed as I am allergic to it.

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

I will be facing major surgery for stage three lung cancer contained in the left lobe. I am extremely allergic to Fentanyl, Propofol, and Versed. Are there any alternatives to these anesthetics? I am currently on Synthroid.

#

If you are allergic to these agents, I suggest you undergo a detailed allergy test with various agents so that you will be able to know which agents are safer for you. There are so many agents and techniques available nowadays in the field of anesthesia. If you are allergic to Propofol, Thiopentone (Sodium Thiopental) or Etomidate is a safer option.

For analgesia, the multimodal technique will be a safer option including regional anesthesia, various blocks, NSAIDS, etc. Versed (Midazolam) can be avoided at all during surgery. So my suggestion to you is to inform your anesthetist about this and leave your worries on him.

|