Q. Which anesthetic agent is used during labor?

Dr. Dineshkumar Murugesaboopathi

I was wondering if an anesthesiologist would mind getting interviewed. I am writing a research paper and could not contact any anesthesiologist around me. Thank you for the help. Below are the questions I need an answer.

1. How many years have you been a part of this profession?

2. About how many times a month do you administer anesthesia to a pregnant mother in labor?

3. Regarding the previous question, what kind of anesthetic is used? (GA, LA, or RA)

4. Have you heard of transmitting the anesthetic agent through the placenta, from mother to child?

5. Is there any information you could provide for the above?

6. About how many times a month do you administer anesthesia to infants for surgery related procedures?

7. Regarding the previous question, what kind of anesthetic is used? (GA, LA, or RA)

8. What kind of chemical compound is used in the hospital’s anesthetic?

9. Does this hospital use an anesthetic “Cocktail” (mixing drugs with anesthesia)?

10. What information can you provide about the issue of neurological degeneration in infants who have been exposed to anesthesia either during surgery or birthing?

11. What kind of introductory do you give your patients about the anesthesia they are about to receive?

12. Have you ever had a follow up with any infant patients later in life? (adolescent age)

13. Is there any more information that you believe could help me better understand this topic?

#

I am glad to answer your queries. Responses are by the question numbers:

1.I have been working as an anesthesiologist for the past 8 years.

2.I would administer anesthesia for around 15-20 caesarean sections per month.

3. In my practice RA is the choice of anesthesia for the pregnant mother under going C section.When RA is contra-indicated we do administer GA; in this scenario we avoid opioids drugs since they cross the placental barrier which is can affect the baby; I use induction drugs like Propofol, muscle relaxation with Succinylcholine and Vecuronium, and maintenance with nitrous oxide and oxygen. Once the baby is delivered I give the opioids for the pain relief.

4.Yes I am aware but I just follow my hospital/team protocols.

5. Opioids drugs like fentanyl, pentazocine etc can affect the fetus/ neonate.I am unaware of the effects of other anesthetic drugs on the fetus/neonate.

6.I do not practice pediatric anesthesia.

7. Not applicable.

8.Thiopentone -Barbiturate; Fentanyl, pentazocine, -Opioids; Vecuronium-Muscle relaxant, Midazolam-Benzodiazepine,Propofol- unclassified.

9. We do use cocktail mixtures.

10. Ketamine can cause severe neurological complications in the fetus/neonate.Others I am not sure.

11.I have a pre-anesthetic clinic in which I assess and choose the appropriate anesthesia. I explain in detail about the anesthetic procedure, complications if any. Finally I answer the client’s queries and explain pre-anesthetic instructions.

12. No I have not.

|