Q. How should I discontinue tablet Escitalopram safely before getting dependant on the drug?

Dr. Awadhesh P. Singh Solanki

I have been taking Escitalopram for one year for OCD and depression. It made me feel normal again. Recently, I stopped taking antidepressants, and I feel a bit depressed again. I have not experienced any side effects due to the medication. So, is it fine if I continue being on antidepressants? Will I get addicted to antidepressants if I continue taking them?

Thanks.

#

Thanks for your query. No, Escitalopram does not cause dependence and tolerance. However, one should not discontinue it all of a sudden. We need to taper it gradually before stopping.

I hope my answer helped you.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

Your help is appreciated. Is it acceptable if I end up having to take Escitalopram lifelong as there are no side effects?

Thanks.

#

It depends upon your need and dependence. However, I have seen few people who are taking it for years without any issue.

|