Q. I have been having episodes of dry cough since 45 days. What might help?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 29 year old male. Since the last 45 days, I have been suffering from episodes of dry cough. 10 days back, I had a 102-degree fever for three days for which the doctor prescribed Paracetamol and a five-day course of antibiotics. The fever improved, but not the cough. I went to another doctor and got another three days prescription for antibiotics. I still cough (on and off ) but almost daily. I do not know if it is normal, but I have a whitish hard palette and a slightly reddish throat. I had blood work and chest X-ray which was normal. I am worried because of this cough and throat clearing problem. Please help.

#

I went through your query.

• You possibly have had a viral infection of the respiratory tract and cough can persist for three weeks after the fever subsides.
  • The white patches usually occur in smokers and are due to persistent inflammation of the throat due to smoking.
  •  Antibiotics are not going to help. I would suggest anti allergic medicines, preferably a Levocetirizine and Montelukast combination twice daily and see the response after five days.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I do not smoke, but I agree with your response that antibiotics are not helping. Let me recap the quick facts. I developed a cough 45 days back.  I developed a fever for three days, 10 days back, that is 35 days after continuously coughing. I developed a small swollen lymph node behind the ear which was checked by the doctor. It resolved now after the fever. I had coughing on and off with some visible whitish deposits on the soft and hard palate, with a reddish throat that looks normal to my wife. I am concerned about serious diseases like lung cancer or throat cancer.

#

• Lung cancer is a disease of smokers which presents in patients beyond 50 years of age with weight loss, coughing of blood and other miserable symptoms. Let me reassure you that it is not a lung cancer.
  • You can do a pulmonary function test to rule out an obstructive lung disease and X-ray of the chest.
  • You can start the allergic medicines as suggested.

|