Q. What is the best cure for dryness and itching in the ear?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I have dryness in the ear and ear itching problem. I had consulted an ENT and he had said that it was a genetic problem. He suggested not to use any ear drops instead advised me to clean it using alcohol or spirit. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.

#

• Ear itching due to dryness is a genetic condition, wherein the skin in the ear canal becomes denuded faster than other people and form wax or flakes.
  • The dryness will be present in both ears and it will not usually be restricted to one ear. To prevent the same you may use an ear bud with a drop of mustard or coconut oil and clean just the ear canal. Take care not to go deep and touch the ear drum as that will be painful and can perforate the drum as well.
  • Secondly, before using buds or oil, you must make sure there is no hole in the drum (tympanic membrane perforation). Having gone to an ENT, I am sure if there was one he would have told you about it. He must have used an otoscope to check inside the ear.
  • The ear itching present chronically can be due to eustachian tube catarrh. The tube connects back of the nose to the ear on each side and helps maintaining the pressure inside the ear same as atmospheric pressure for optimum hearing.
  • When the tube gets blocked due to allergy, pollution, nasal stuffiness, chronic cold or any other reasons it can cause itching as well. But, the tubal block can produce more symptoms over time, like fullness, decreased hearing, pain, etc.
  • For the tubal block, you may use tablet Lorfast (Loratadine) 10 mg one tablet in the night or when required. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • For the simple dryness problem, you may follow what I said. I also advise you take healthy nutritious diet with adequate amounts of all vitamins and minerals so that skin will be healthy.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|