Itchy Ear

Can I use coconut oil for itchy ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I have dryness in the ear and ear itching problem. I had consulted an ENT and he had said that it was a genetic problem. He suggested not to use any ear drops instead advised me to clean it using alcohol or spirit. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear itching due to dryness is a genetic condition, wherein the skin in the ear canal becomes denuded faster than other people and form wax or flakes. The dryness will be present in both ears and it will not usually be restricted to one ear. To prevent the same you may u...  Read Full »

I have partially extruded ear tubes and having a hard time hearing with itching. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have ear tubes that have extruded or partially extruded, and I am having a hard time hearing. My ears are itchy, and I am having extreme and instant pain if water gets in the ear (at the beach). I have an ear camera, and I can attach photos.  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please attach the pictures in which I can see you external ear canal and tympanic membrane. It can be due to middle ear effusion.  Read Full »

Having itchy rashes on the ear in-spite of taking drugs. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some rashes on and behind my ear. I have tried everything but it is still there for over one and a half month. I have been ignoring it because I get better quickly but does not entirely disappear, and right now is worst than ever. It is quite itchy and at night it is even worst...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. This is not herpes (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and this is a superficial fungal infection known as tinea corporis. If it involves the face exclusively, then it is called tinea faciei. Kindly consult your doctor, discu...  Read Full »

What is the permanent remedy for dry and itchy ear?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 50 years, has been having itching in the left ear since a month. We consulted an ENT doctor. He did an endoscopy and said that there is no wax formation and ear is dry. He asked my mom to put one or two drops of oil in the ear. She did that for a week and there seemed to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details you have given I understand that your mother aged 50 years has been having itching in the left ear since a month which gets temporarily relieved with the application of oil. Also, an ENT consultant has ruled out any local pathology or wax or ear drum...  Read Full »