Q. I have constant ear discharge after an eardrum surgery. Please advise.

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have an eardrum perforation since childhood. I had tympanoplasty done last year but, that failed. Now, the ear keeps discharging all the time. I completed a course of Ciprofloxacin and Dexatops ear drops but after a week, the discharge is back. Please advise.

#

A recurrent ear discharge after a failed tympanoplasty needs to be evaluated completely.

• The causes can be a reservoir of infection in your mastoid bone, resistant organism, Eustachian tube dysfunction, etc.
  • The permanent treatment is a revision tympanoplasty usually done with cortical mastoidectomy to remove any infection in the mastoid bone as well. You should consult a good ear surgeon in your city for the revision surgery.
  • If you do not want to undergo a surgery, you should keep your ears dry:
  1. Ensure no water enters your ears.
  2. Avoid using ear buds.
  3. Treat yourself immediately in case of cold or nasal infections.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|