Q. Can you suggest a good lubricant for near vision?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I used to spend a lot of time before laptop and tablet. Now, my vision became blurred when I see a computer. I had a headache in exactly one part or one side of the brain. Then, I had a check up and everything was found normal. The doctor suggested me to take capsule Eyetamin for 20 days. Then, I was fine without any problem for approximately a month. But, again, developed the same problem. Now, they prescribed me with a glass (spherical, ARC and -0.25) along with Oxycool eye drop and some medicines. It was good till now. Some 15 days back, my vision became blurred and I had a headache, though I had my eyeglasses. Both were gone after I had some sleep. I had the problem while I was studying. I used to study continuously for 3 hours to 6 hours approximately a day. I again had a check up and they did not find any problem. Eyeglass specifications did not change. They prescribed me with Zoline plus eye drop. Even after 10 days of use, I do not feel any significant difference. After application of the eye drop, I could not see properly for some time. After some time, it was clear. Now, I could watch television continuously. I am having problems while studying and I could not study continuously even for half an hour either from a textbook or on laptop. I am having eye strain. I fear my vision will become blurred again, so have stopped reading since last 15 days. Please suggest what I should do now. I will be grateful for your advice. Thank you.

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• When you are watching television, you are using your distant vision and while studying or working on laptop or tablets you are using your near vision. The prescription you are telling is for distant vision.
  • Have you ever undergone refraction for near vision, however, it is more important after the age of 40 years. What is your age?
  • Most probably you may be having dry eyes or blepharitis that will be confirmed on slit lamp examination only. You should get your examination done.
  • Use lubricant eye drops continuously. Also get your fundus examination done.

1. Dry eyes.
2. Blepharitis.

Use lubricant eye drops for at least three times a day.

Avoid prolonged continuous use of gadgets.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Perhaps, all the tests are done except the refraction for near vision. They prescribed me as I have written. Can you please suggest me a good lubricant for near vision?

Dr. Shikha

#

• Lubricant eye drops are in general. They are not different for near vision or distant vision. Lubricant eye drops just help to soothe your eyes in case of tear film disturbance.
  • About your refraction for near vision, usually every ophthalmologist as well as optometrist does not check for near vision at this age. It is done in routine in every patient more than 40 years.
  • You can use Refresh tears eye drop 0.5% at least three times a day or more as required. But, minimum three times a day.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is there any effect of gastric problems on eyes or any other disease or smoking that may cause such eye problem? Should I continue using Zoline plus eye drop and what is this for? As the prescription are for distant vision, now what do you suggest for the near vision? Why is the problem happening intermittently?

Dr. Shikha

#

• Do your eyes look red? It would be appreciable to me if you could send me the picture.
  • Now, if you are having blepharitis, then the disease recurs if not treated properly or stop the treatment in between. It can also recur if you are having dandruff in your hairs.
  • Now, Zoline plus eye drop is basically a NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and used as a decongestant.
  • Regarding your gastric and other systemic disease related concern, yes, systemic disease does have an effect on the eyes and it depends on the disease.
  • Smoking and alcohol have an effect on the eyes. Smokers are more prone to develop dry eyes.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Are my symptoms due to meibomian gland disorder or blepharitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from an eye problem since the last 18 months or so. Initially, I was diagnosed with dry eyes and was suggested warm compress lifelong along with few eye drops and antibiotic. I have checked with almost six doctors locally out of which few say it is meibomian gla...  Read Full »

Is heredomacular degeneration a genetic disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from heredomacular degeneration. And I am pregnant and have one daughter. Will this problem also affect my unborn and daughter? Kindly suggest me. Someone told me it is a genetic disease.  Read Full »

How can my blurred vision be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having blurry vision ever since my sore eyes have been going away. It started a week ago when I was diagnosed with sore eyes. My physician told me to use Terramycin four to five times a day and on the sixth day, the swelling in my eyes got better. But once my eye was in a ...  Read Full »