Q. I have dry eyes with weird eyelids and eye lashes. Could this be due to Demodex mites?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2020

I have been suffering from dry eyes for four years. I have seen many eye doctors, but no cause has been found. A while ago, I started noticing my eye-lids looking weird. I also discovered I had Demodex mites on my face, but none were found on my eyelashes. However, I made some photos of my eye-lids and found the base of my eye-lashes looked white. My question is, could this, after all, be the sign of Demodex mites?

During these four years of dry eyes, I get occasional left eye pains. The problem is exacerbated by computer use, reading, being outdoors. My eyes are not red, no blurred vision, no excess tearing. Warm compresses, eyelid massages, eyelid hygiene, and diet changes did not help. Around a year ago, eye-lid problems started. My eyelashes do not fall out easily, though.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

We do have natural microbe or flora on our face and eyelashes but Demodex mite cannot be, it is a foreign microbe that needs to be treated. I can see the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there is redness beneath the eye and also white at the base of the eyelash.

There are many reasons for it, firstly, are you having psoriasis which itself can be flared up and needs treatment by a skin specialist. This also has an effect on eyes causing dryness and burning. Secondly, as you are saying dandruff that you have to check. Do you observe it at your hairs, shoulders, and eyebrows? That also has to be treated by antidandruff shampoo again call for a skin specialist.

Thirdly, blepharitis because it also causes similar symptoms apart from the face. Do you have any other symptoms like thirsty mouth, itching in any part of the body, or rashes?

Well, I would suggest you to get it checked once with a skin specialist also because it is now a chronic condition. I will write medications for you.

Eye ointment Dexamethasone over the eyelashes at night and day for 15 days. Eye drop Systane ultra (Polyethylene glycol) four to five times a day for 15 days. Eye ointment Neosporin at the face just down to eyes where rash is there. Genteal gel at night and day inside the eye. Use any anti-dandruff shampoo. use anti mite shampoo for hairs. Lid scrub by scrubbing it with buds dipped in one part of shampoo and two parts of water.
This should be continued for 15 days. Please consult a skin specialist. It is important since you are so much in pain.

| 

One of my friends wants to use Dexona and Practin to gain weight. Can she use it for 10 days?

Query: Hello doctor,One of my friends wants to use Dexona and Practin to gain weight. Can she use it for 10 days?  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Management of Psoriasis

Article Overview: In allopathy, the treatment of psoriasis has many limitations and after effects. But, ayurveda has an answer to all this. And, here we are going to discuss the same. Read Article

Dr. Mohd Zahoor Bhat

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder wherein patient's skin has typically red, itchy and scaly patches. Sometimes, the patches are whitish in nature. There are five main types of psoriasis. They are plaque, guttate, inverse, pustular and erythrodermic. In allopathy (modern medicine), management...  Read Article

Can Practin tablet be used to gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches and I weigh 41 kg. I need to put on weight. I have fast metabolism. Can I take Practin and Decdan tablets? It is suggested by one of my friend. Thank you.  Read Full »