Q. Can I take Practin and Decdan to gain weight?

I am a 23 year old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches and I weigh 41 kg. I need to put on weight. I have fast metabolism. Can I take Practin and Decdan tablets? It is suggested by one of my friend. Thank you.

Do you have a question on Gain Weight or Sleep Hygeine?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MS (OBS/GYNAE)., FMAS., DMAS., FELLOWSHIP IS ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNIQUES
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

The tablets Practin (Cyproheptadine hydrochloride) and Decdan (Dexamethasone) would just add water retention in the body and not increase the muscle mass. So once you leave it, your body shall return back to low weight itsel So, Practin and Decdan are not recommended for instant weight gain Gradual weight gain is always advisable. An increase in 500 kilocalories per day can result in increasing the body weight by 0.5 kg per week

Eat plenty of healthy fats. Have egg yolks, meat with animal fat, coconut oil, and other healthy fats. Increase calorie intake of healthy foods that include bananas. Chew the food properly to improve digestion Keep a track of your weight gain as this is essential. It is healthy to increase approximately 5 to 6 kg per month. The right combination of healthy food, exercise, correct breathing, rest and sleep go a long way in healthy and happy life. For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Can you please suggest changes to my son's food chart?
Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 and a half years old and his weight is 14.5 kg. Since he started going to school recently, there is a change in his diet. He eats eggs from the age of one and he likes to eat non-vegetarian food. As my husband is on a paleo non-vegetarian diet, my son takes more meat now and I...  Read Full »
Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. His weight is fine for his age. The diet chart is quite alright, except for the following minor changes: He should be given a variety of fruits to improve the fiber content. Try to include at least one more glass of milk. It would be best to take it on days he does ...  Read Full »

Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Se...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increase of the dose of Zoloft (Sertraline) can cause sleep problem, as you are facing currently. To manage this, you can change the time from night to morning or afternoon. If you altogether stop night doses of Zoloft (return back to 100 mg per day), then this s...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now