Q. Is it safe to use artificial tears for dry eyes?

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 20, 2019

I am 66 years old. I have psoriasis, and it can break out around my face and eyes. I also have dry eye issues and use Thera tears. At the time, I have a lot of eye pain. I should even say I use a CPAP at night at that is when it gets the worst. To the point, I can wake up and hear my eyes moving in my head. What can be done, and is there any danger to my sight?

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I fear that you have severe dry eye and using artificial tears will not be enough. First of all, you should start using the artificial tears every hour during the day and last time about an hour or 30 minutes before sleep. You could also try using a thicker type of lubrication such as eye gel when you have significant visual activities. Last but not least, you might want to get a prescription for Restasis (Cyclosporine), the only existing treatment of the dry eye. Dry eye is a chronic condition that is very hard to manage and requires high compliance from your side.

Why are there light flashes with burning sensations in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I work on the computer for over 10 hours daily. I have dry eyes and minus power of 1.75 in both eyes. However, of late I see light flashes in left eye followed by heat like sensation coming out from the eye. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heat sensations are due to continuous computer work. 1. Always use a well light room. The light position should be behind your head not in front. 2. Screen height should be below eye level. 3. Every 20 minutes take your eyes off the screen and try to relax for 20 ...  Read Full

I had corneal ulcer after my PRK surgery. I am on antibiotics and steroids. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have done PRK eye surgery about a month ago in both eyes. A few days later, my left eye had some weird blurred vision which turned out to be corneal ulcer that is in the center and relatively big. I got treated immediately with heavy antibiotics Ceftin or Vigamox. After two to three w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Souhad
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Indeed a corneal ulcer requires patience, time, and continuous monitoring until it is fully healed or scar forms. Sometimes it might take up to a year and more. It is however mandatory that you add to the list of eye drops that you are using a lubricant (artificial t...  Read Full

I have dry eyes, eye strain and stinging due to constant computer use. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dry eye problems since the last three years due to heavy computer usage. The eyes feel dry, and sometimes there is burning. Reading strains my eyes. I take Omega 369 tablets when this problem occurs, and then I would be alright for 15 to 30 days. But, it would resurface af...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no permanent treatment for dry eyes. The treatment options are: Take a break after every hour of computer work. Blink a lot. Apply cold compresses. Use anti-glare glasses. Use lubricating eyedrop frequently like refresh tears. You may use either Omega-3 fatty...  Read Full