Q. What can be done for dryness, redness and red lines in both eyes?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Jun 04, 2019

I have dryness, redness and red lines in both eyes. No liquid discharge. Right eye hurts sometime. I have 5 to 6 hours work on laptops.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

People spending longer time on computer, laptop screens have greater chances of developing dry eyes. Because while using computer, blink rate is decreased to 1 to 2 time per minute. Normal blinking is necessary to keep eye surface wet and eyelids function as wipers and spread tear film on corneal surface. If you do not blink, eye surface gets dry and you will feel irritation of grittiness or mild redness. Longer time you spend on screen, more chances of developing dry eyes.

So you need to slightly modify blinking habbits while working on laptop, screen. You should blink every 15 to 20 seconds to keep eyes wet. Secondly, you can use artifical tears, lubricants to minimize dryness. You can use Systane eye drop or Tears Naturale eye drop or any other tears available to you. You can use 3 to 4 times but you can also use more frequently if you feel so. There is no side effect of these drops, these are only artificial tears. I hope your problem will be solved.

Can vestibular problems and C5-C6 bulge cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had persistent, recurrent headaches and shooting head pains due to a concussion from a traumatic brain injury, that I acquired five years back. The doctor has described my headaches as tension-type headaches, I have pain behind the eyes mainly, but it can be on the top of the head...  Read Full »

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »

Why are there light flashes with burning sensations in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I work on the computer for over 10 hours daily. I have dry eyes and minus power of 1.75 in both eyes. However, of late I see light flashes in left eye followed by heat like sensation coming out from the eye. Please advise.  Read Full »