Q. What can I do to relieve dry eyes and irritation?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Jun 30, 2017

I am a 33 year old male. I have dry eyes and irritation since the last five years, especially when I wake up in the mornings. I consulted with an eye care specialist, but they found nothing wrong. My sugar levels were checked five times, and it came back normal all the times, except for once. But, the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, and gave me eyedrops. It gave me only a temporary relief for four to five months. Then it is back. Please help.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Dryness of the eyes is a very common condition these days due to excessive use of mobile phones, television, and laptop. There is no permanent treatment for dryness.
  • It may be normal if it persists for a few days. But, it might continue for a longer time, due to a change in the weather, exposure to direct air, excessive screen time, lack of adequate sleep or, the use of contact lens.
  • I suggest the following:
  1. Use anti-glare glasses when using mobile phones, laptop, etc.
  2. Cold compresses.
  3. Blinking exercises.
  4. Avoid direct exposure to air.
  5. Use lubricating eye drops frequently, like Refresh tears (Carboxymethylcellulose sodium).

Preventive measures work better than treatment, but both are equally necessary. Please feel free to ask more queries.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »

How can we treat dry eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have a problem with vehicle sounds. When I hear a loud noise, I feel very stressed. I sit on computers for long hours. I also have dry eyes problem. I went to an ophthalmologist. He gave me eye drops. Please advice.  Read Full »

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full »