Q. What can I do to relieve dry eyes and irritation?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2022

I am a 33 year old male. I have dry eyes and irritation since the last five years, especially when I wake up in the mornings. I consulted with an eye care specialist, but they found nothing wrong. My sugar levels were checked five times, and it came back normal all the times, except for once. But, the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, and gave me eyedrops. It gave me only a temporary relief for four to five months. Then it is back. Please help.

#

Dryness of the eyes is a very common condition these days due to excessive use of mobile phones, television, and laptop. There is no permanent treatment for dryness. It may be normal if it persists for a few days. But, it might continue for a longer time, due to a change in the weather, exposure to direct air, excessive screen time, lack of adequate sleep or, the use of contact lens. I suggest the following:

1) Use anti-glare glasses when using mobile phones, laptop, etc.

2) Cold compresses.

3) Blinking exercises.

4) Avoid direct exposure to air.

5) Use lubricating eye drops frequently, like Refresh tears (Carboxymethylcellulose sodium).

Preventive measures work better than treatment, but both are equally necessary. Please feel free to ask more queries.

|