Q. My hair is getting brittle and dry. Is this due to seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 23, 2019

My hair has been dry and brittle and falling out for the past year, but it seems that I have been losing my hair for longer. I do have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, but I have had it under control for the past two months. I am only 27, and I am a picky eater, so I know my diet is not high, I also get around four to five hours of sleep and average two glasses of water a day. Could this be affecting my hair, or is it MPB?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case. First you need to understand hair fall once started may take six months to one year for recovery. Moreover it is true that it is often aggravated due to stress or lack of sleep and due to male harmones and different products we use for hair styling. In your case in my opinion it is male pattern baldnes.

Apply five percent Minoxidil lotion on your scalp twice daily for three months at least. Please take a good diet like milk egg and protein.

Avoid stress. Take six to eight hours of sleep.

If it is male pattern baldness will I lose my hair again after stopping Minoxidil after three months? What would you classify me on the Norwood scale?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Regarding loosing hair again after stopping Minoxildil, yes you may indeed suffer from it when once it is stopped. In that case, you need maintenance therapy like twice daily for three months then once daily for the next three months and then alternatively. Norwood scale VI

What might be the reason for severe hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 5'2" and she weighs 55 kg. She is suffering from severe hair loss. She had ferritin test and the level is 29.10. Her hemoglobin level is normal. Please give me suggestion about this doctor.  Read Full »

I have dandruff, hair fall, and white tiny itchy balls on my scalp. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have dandruff, hair fall, and lately, I saw tiny white balls on my scalp after which my scalp became very itchy. Please tell me how to treat this condition.  Read Full »

Dietary Supplements and Their Recommended Doses for Hair Loss

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the common vitamins and minerals that are required for hair growth and healthy skin. Read Article

Certain conditions like dry hair indicate a vitamin deficiency or a lack of protein in the diet. The solution is to increase intake of vitamins, minerals and proteins. Vitamins A and C, biotin, iron and zinc are prescribed when the cause of hair loss has been determined. A combination of e...  Read Article